Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Meringue Buttercream...






So I have been frothing at the bit to make the Strawberry Cupcakes with the beautiful Strawberry Meringue Buttercream icing....yeah, well not anymore!

The Strawberry cupcake part was easy and straightforward...tastes good, light cake with some strawberry chunks (I would add a tad more the next go around of strawberries as it is a bit stingy when eating). I have been waiting to make the icing as I made the cupcakes on Monday, but haven't gotten around to the icing...

Okay so today was the day. Last time I tried making the meringue buttercream icing I was really angry as it did not work. It was the day I made the creepcakes for Aaryanna's birthday and the bloody stuff went seedy when I started adding the butter. It was just hours before her party so I just ended up whipping up regular butter icing.

So needless to say I was a tad nervous how these would turn out, but figured that maybe it was the butter was not soft enough the last go around. Well I always seem to have it flop at the butter stage. Not sure why but I am thinking I will never try the stuff again. I am soooooo MAD! Totally pissed off when I did everything right. Why the hell does it not say how f*$!ing finicky the stuff is? Well Martha I am not impressed! Basically the icing is no longer fluffy but a runny mess. I have put it in the fridge hoping that maybe it just needs some cooling down, but I am not really believing this. I have pics, may not get to ice the damn cakes now as I don't f-ing feel like it! Sorry for the potty mouth but I was so excited about these and now they have FLOPPED!

Please if ANYONE knows how this magic icing works, please fill me in! Okay just watched her and Jennifer Garner making it...may actually have succeeded and the picture I have is deceiving...damn pictures! Okay well, nope the jury is in...icing SUCKS!!!!


8 comments:

  1. frothy is just what the bloody icing is...you can drink it! Ugh!....MAD, MAD, MAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You talk like a cupcake making sailor (like Cap'n Ahab) who has met his Moby Dick of the Martha meringue butter cream ocean.

    Take up your spear (aka 14.99 handmixer) and go down with the ship if need be. Don't let this monster defeat you! Fight!

    In the words of the great Sir Winston Churhill

    "We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, (OR EDMONTON)
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans, (OF ICING)
    ...
    we shall fight on the beaches, (OR THE TOPS OF CUPCAKES)
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender ..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I was going to make tiramsu cupcakes but I want to try and see what happens when I make the ... duh duh duh ... swiss meringue butter icing on XO Valentine's Day cupcakes.

    I am cooking tomorrow if I am home early enough otherwise it will be Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't put it in the firdge place the bowl of icing over a bowl of ice water. That's what she said on the video of her making the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Thanks Wendy. Yes, I know about what she says, but trust me there was no real hope...it has thickened up in the fridge which would allow me to now decorate the cupcakes I think, but they would need to be kept cold...will try again some day when I have time. My mom had some suggesteions...she thinks the recipe is asking for too much butter and I should cut it back...she thinks that the butter is not properly bonding with the sugar and maybe I should do it in reverse.LOl Lots of future experimenting. I did see on Martha that she also has some gluten free recipes starting...may be something to try?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It uses one pound of butter, but it has to be added one table spoon at a time...and it needs to be the right consistency before moving on to any step...perhaps I will video myself making it next time LOL I use the conversion app on my iPhone to convert any weird us measurements into our measurements and have been successful that way...you will master this icing I know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindy mine says 1 1/4 cups...hmm, I think I may have done 1 1/2 F%$# LMFAO I am thinking I may be a brainless wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope it says 1 1/2 cups, so nope I am not brainless!

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...