Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hi, well so far this cupcake fun time game has given me nothing but headaches!

As I was trying to get the photos of my very tasty Chocolate Spice Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Glaze to transfer from my camera to my lap top travesty hit. I was making coffee, the nasty instant kind (because I am the only coffee drinker I have to endure it on the weekends before I go out for and Shell coffee) and stepped back from the laptop which is sitting on top of a laptable up top of the kitchen table - ok »I guess I should have heeded Yurddle the Turtle (you remember the Dr. Seuss turtle) and recognized my kingdom was too tall - but instead I tripped on the cord and sent the computer and the camera and one of my most favourite cups shattering to the floor. (only bonus is that my kids are now up and doing their chores hahahaha!)

Well thankfully my computer and camera are all right - how ... I do not know unless there is a cupcake God that wanted to see my work done for the betterment of his wheat intolerant subjects mahhaha lol



So right, ok, yeah, cupcakes that is why we are here!

Well here is a picture of all the ingredients I used in the cupcakes (except baking soda) I did not have Dutch cocoa so I just used Frys and I did not have unsalted butter so I used margarine. I have no idea what unsulfured molasses is so I just used the regular kind. For this recipe I chose to use brown rice.


I used the exact measurements for this recipe - I have a tendency to just make up my own measurements for thing (toss in this ooh I bet allspice would be better you know) It looks really chocolaty but it is not. NOT in the least. You would be surprised in the flavour as it is defiantly a ginger bread with a little chocolate flavour.


Chocolate Ganache Glaze - this is not icing!



I had no idea what I was not sure that I was suppose to be making when I starting to make this topping. It is not icing and it is not syrup it is literally runny chocolate and is tremendously rich. It is way too over powering for the gingerbread cupcakes. Angel my daughter loves the topping but not the cake. I used chips instead of chopping regular chocolate.



I left the hot cream mixture on the chips while I buttered and dusted the pans - use lots of powder on the pans - this recipe sticks really badly.





You can see how much of the cake was stuck to the pan. I dug all the extra crumbles out of the pan and drenched it is the leftover ganache ... ahhh that is what diabetes feels likes. I swear my sugar levels went through the roof and I had an instant stomach ache. So don't try this at home :)












So the end result looks pretty close to the picture in the book. I do not have my own copy of this book The girls are just sending me copies so I am not sure if it was a colour picture in the book or not but they look close to me.
Mike says that they are spicy, rich and wonderful and he really wants me to make them again.
Angel says: I do not like the cake but the icing is really good.
Brad says: I like the cake part better it tastes good.
Wendar says: Mmmm gingerbread but the ganache is a bit too much unless you have a strong cup of black coffee.



3 comments:

  1. LMAO sounds like you had a riot! Good for you. Yes I sent a colour pic, but you photocopied it so that means no colour! LOL I will find you a book one day when I venture into the deep freeze. I need to grab stuff I think still, but it is so tempting for me to just NOT do anything.LOL

    Interesting about the cake getting all stuck, but I have not baked one of these yet without a cupcake liner, so how would I know? LOL Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you needed more butter in the pans and then light dusting...they look tasty...ganache is sweet...like syrup! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a bendy silicone cupcake pan when I was at Superstore today so I hope that will help with the sticking cake.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...