Sunday, January 6, 2019

Sugar Detoxing and setting up for a healthier 2019

I have decided to start a new journey of health and wellness.  I had originally planned this for 2018 and had started it in September 2017 before Taylor got sick and everything went off the rails, so now that I have some time on my hands and I am trying to look forward and make some goals, this one has resurfaced for many reasons:

  • Having more energy to do the things I want to do (being the fun auntie involves wanting to do fun stuff like swimming, skating, skiing, tobogganing, playing at the park, etc.)
  • Feeling more confident in my own skin (and it wouldn't hurt to feel less self conscious on vacations involving beaches and pools)
  • More fashion options that I feel comfortable in (I like to play vintage dress up for photos and many of those styles just look better and are more available in non-plus sizes)
  • Health = prevention of many diseases (if I can prevent it or lower my odds, its probably worth it - I am not getting any younger)
  • Not feeling soooo out of shape when doing common things - so building endurance and stamina is important too (being the sweaty person in the group isn't much fun)

So, that's a bit about my goals - I don't have a specific goal weight in mind or any huge lofty goals really - its more of a lifestyle change that I believe will result in achieving these priorities for me.

Some of the things I am doing to make this happen is:

1. Sugar Detoxing

I have been baking like crazy this past year, thankfully not eating all of what I have been baking, but when I see all of the sugar and carbs going into all of the stuff I am feeding everyone, I must admit - it definitely makes me realize that treats are exactly that...treats - meaning they should be a special indulgence and not an every day or several a day snack.  Soooo I have started a sugar detox where I am not consuming any food products that contain sugar (natural or refined) with the exception of one fruit serving per day (or as close to this as I can stick to).  This paired with drinking TONS of water and eating healthier snacks (the much dreaded vegetable) throughout the day and very restricted carbs (complex carbs only).  Headaches, the shakes, being sluggish...all side effects of kicking my sugar habit, but all worth it to come out the other side being able to not just think about sweets and treats all day!  I will be doing this for about 7 days before starting a more fulsome nutrition plan that allows more carbs and fruits, but still restricts refined sugar for the most part except if its a special occasion (cuz this girl is not turning down birthday cake or a girls night out with yummy food and wine!)

2. Sugar-Free Baking

As most of you know, I love baking, and baking treats mostly...so I need to come up with a way to continue my passion and stress coping technique that won't sabotage my health goals.  I was at a New Years Day dinner with family when it was suggested that I look into diabetic friendly baking or no added sugar baking...once I looked into it, it just clicked!  I can still bake and be healthy - win win, what a relief!

Stay tuned for some recipes that I will trial and share - and if you have some - please send them my way!!!  Eventually I will also look at sugar substitutes (starting with natural ones of course, but for now I am going to start with fruit and veggies as the only source of sugar).

3. Exercise (ugh...)

OK, this is by far my least favourite part of starting a health journey...I can find absolutely every excuse possible for not wanting to exercise...workout clothing not feeling comfortable, I need new (insert workout gear) before I can start, not having time or energy to have another shower after I get all sweaty, I don't have an ideal workout "area", it's too hard, I'm too tired, I don't have time, I should really get those dishes or laundry done first, etc.  You name it - I have used it as an excuse.  I am finally beginning to realize that I am the one losing out...I am not getting away with not exercising, I am just exacerbating my own misery and self loathing.

So I am going to start really slow with 5 minutes of exercise per day (maybe more if the 5 minutes isn't horrible) and work up to 20 minutes per day within the next 30 days.  5 minutes of heart pumping exercise is the goal...so I'm not talking about a 5 minute walk, as I am getting lots of steps in per day, but not enough intensity.

If anyone is looking for accountability partners please let me know - we can start a FB group or text group and check in and motivate each other.  Just send me a PM and we can chat more.

4. Healthy Eating

I am horrible for remembering to eat throughout the day, I am just not a "schedule or routine" person - even if I put it in a calendar and on my phone with reminders - so part of this goal is trying to eat more regularly in smaller portions - and being conscious of what I am putting in my body (including more water).  So, two cups of coffee is what I have set as my limit per day - otherwise I could end up drinking coffee all day and not drinking any water until supper time, EEK!

Part of my journey will include looking for yummy ways to eat complex carbs and make vegetables taste more appealing to me.  I don't eat many vegetables or fruits for that matter, so this is another big shift for me.  I tend to like the taste of most vegetables thankfully, so that will help provide more variety to my diet than some of you picky pants' out there (HE HE I am talking about my sister Leah mostly).

I'm not looking to start a meal plan that isn't sustainable or involves starving myself or eating stuff I have to choke down...it needs to be sustainable.  I am approaching this as a way to retrain my brain and my taste buds...at first it will take a conscious effort and lots of researching and trials, but once I get things to become my "go to" it will become my norm to eat these foods and eat more balanced.

I will share recipes that I come across and try, feel free to share your favourites with me too!

Happy 2019 everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wowsers, I am very proud of you for putting tthis up on the blog. It makes it real and hopefully will hold you accountable. Getting healthy is awesome, I need to start this too. I will start in feb. after vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you! I want to just start with some exercise...maybe I will build on food, but I am not to horribly bad there, just lack a lot of exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...