Friday, January 18, 2019

Chicken Cordon Bleu Cassarole

I got my ingredients for the recipe from Save On Foods. I found this recipe on Pinterest a while back and have wanted to make it for a long time. I love classic cordon bleu and am excited to see how this turns out. I have made a few changes to this recipe in order to reduce the calories a bit.



The first thing I did was to bake the chicken at 350 for 40 minutes but as I have a convection oven it cooked in 30 minutes. I took the chicken out of the oven and let it cool for a bit until I could handle it.


I chopped up the chicken really small.


I spread out the chopped chicken on the bottom of the pan, in future I will cook 4 chicken breasts as I barely cooked enough to cover the bottom of the pan.



The recipe did not call for onions and mushrooms but I feel that it was going to need some so I fried up a small onion and 2 cups of mushrooms.



I chopped up the ham into small chunks I could have left them a little bit bigger but oh well. I chose to use pepper ham instead of regular ham as it’s very tasty and I thought it would make it tastier.



I layered the mushroom and onion mixture then I layered on the crumbly ham trying to keep it all evenly distributed.



The recipe says that you should use your blender to mix the butter (I used half calorie margarine), the cream cheese (I used low fat), wine,  lemon juice and dijion but I hate dragging mine out it’s so big I didn’t feel like fighting with it and it blades today so instead I just used my hand mixer and it worked perfectly. The cream mixture is very thick and hard to spread I imagine if you left the ham slices whole you’d be able to spread it properly evening it out as mine was a little sparse in places.



See what I mean about it not being spread out correctly.



It was easy to layer the Swiss cheese as it was pre sliced. I put it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes but as usual it cooked much faster.



All cooked the first thing I did was to cut it up and I was astonished by the fact that the pan was half full of liquid so I didn’t think too much about it so I let it sit for 5 minutes thinking it might set up but no my casserole was runny.



I scooped out my portion and realized that it was the mushrooms and onions that made it all runny so buyer be ware that if you are a mushroom fanatic like me you could sprinkle some flour on the mushroom mixture before cooking it and that should mop up the excess liquid.



Pan’s all juicy.


Well Mike and I both really enjoyed this recipe it was tasty and the ham to chicken to cheese ratio is just about perfect. If you’re looking for a high protein meal with very few carbs here it is more than 60 grams per serving. I really suggest that if you like traditional chicken cordon bleu try this recipe out for yourself!

https://joyfilledeats.com/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole/ 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, but I would not want mushrooms or onions, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...