Wednesday, January 19, 2011

White Cupcakes with Pastel Buttercream Peaks

Well last night I decided to make some white cupcakes with pastel buttercream peaks for uncle Wayne, who requested white cake with white icing, so this is what I chose. I had my little helper Taylor assisting me...well making me crazy by touching everything and trying to stir everything, etc. She didn't end up helping much in the end, other than setting up boobie traps for me to trip over...such as her step stool.

The cake part was quite simple, other than I needed egg whites instead of yolks...and realized I was throwing away the part I needed after egg number two! Things were going along just fine, and then my hand mixer broke...so it only has one mixer instead of two...this seamed to make things take FOREVER!! I was about ready to send my helper to bed after she ripped out a page of my cookbook...
Cake part was baking and I started the frosting part...my stand mixer was extremely helpful as I needed to make the meringue part first requiring egg whites and sugar to be whisked in a bowl over simmering water until the mixture was warm and the sugar was dissolved...I let it get super hot as I was worried about salmonella poisoning LOL...I am so paranoid!
Anyway, that part took about 10 minutes, and then I put it in the stand mixer on medium for about 10 minutes until it became meringue...thankfully I didn't have to hold a broken hand mixer for two hours...as it would have taken forever!

After the meringue is the right consistency you slowly add a WHOLE pound of butter by the tablespoon until it is all mixed...holy cow - not sure I will ever eat buttercream after seeing how much butter is in it!!!

Then it required to be beat with a paddle attachment for two minutes...again, very thankful for the mixer or it would have been hand mixing with a spoon!

Okay...so now we get to the exciting part...icing the cupcakes. It was about 9:30pm on a Tuesday night, and I realized at this point that the actual recipe calls for buttercream peaks...which looks like a flower when it is done, and doesn't sound hard in theory...but after doing 24 cupcakes and realizing I used the wrong tip to start with (much smaller starburst than I ended up finishing with). Once I realized they weren't going to be perfect, and that the buttercream melts extremely fast when it is in your hand...I decided time was worth more to me than perfection...so I piped them as quickly as I could, and ended up having to alternate colors and placing the piping bags in the fridge to help firm the icing up.
All in all, everyone seemed to LOVE them at work...I took about 16 cupcakes to work and took 6 for uncle Wayne...and the ones at work were gone by lunch time...with a few repeat taste testers...muah ha ha...they will all be fattened up at this rate...LOL - Kidding...they are all healthy skinny people that could use the fattening anyway...
So...this was a good recipe...I found the cake was a tad dry...and I only cooked them for 14 minutes instead of the 18 to 20 recommended - as they tested as done at 14 minutes...they probably would have been rocks if I had left them the extra time. The buttercream was quite tasty...very smooth and silky and not too sweet.

I am thinking a coconut inspired cupcake will be next...stay tuned!

9 comments:

  1. omg - you are amazing! I don't think I have ever seen such beautiful and unique looking cupcakes! They look polished and Bradley would like a blue one lol! They look like something you would serve at a wedding as an alternative wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Wendy! They looked nicer in the book, and I probably would have done a much better job had I not been tired and frustrated and the icing kept melting! All in all though they turned out okay...I wasn't ashamed to tell people that I decorated them at least...it could have been much worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely...like the pics of Miss Grabby Pants as well as your poor cupcake book. Mine is already looking pretty wratched.LOL Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so I am going to say it...I am soooo jealous. You are all pro with your fancy cupcake racks and cupcake carrier, while I am the welfare baker! LMAO Just had to put that out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMFAO and don't forget...I have a fancy mixer too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok if we are comparing inadaquecies I use a zip lock bag as an icing bag!!!

    I heard of a shop on the southside called Bosch and they have all the cooking/cupcake toys and ingredients. Could we all go on a field trip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Wendy that would be fun to go on a field trip! I am so in. We should get you up a notch though in cupcake bags...I use disposables, but would be willing to purchase one I could wash to save our environment! LOL Environmental Cupcake Crusader!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in for a field trip as I need some supplies, I have been using a disposable kind of icing bag too, and I would rather the professional kind as I am sure it is all in the tools that makes it look pretty...lol

    I thought you were bloody brilliant using a ziploc bag other than you can't use different tips...but whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok - cannot go this weekend because I am fundraising for hte air cadets and going to head over to Northlands to watch my students cheer. So any other time is cool :)

    Bosch Kitchen Centre
    Hours of Operation are 9am-5pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday
    9am-8pm Thursday
    10am-5pm Saturday
    (all hours in Mountain Standard Time)

    Our Address is: 9766-51 Avenue NW Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6E 0A6
    Our Phone number is: 780-437-3134

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...