Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes w/Seven Minute Frosting


So I have now made the Snickerdoodle cupcakes. They are a nice simple recipe with ingredients that most people will have on hand, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, butter, baking powder, salt, Cake and regular powder. The recipe had no unusual steps, but you do have to make sure butter and eggs are at room temperature...something I always forget. The cake part is lovely and can be eaten alone.

The Seven Minute frosting was a bit more of a challenge...you will need corn syrup, sugar, water and egg whites(at room temperature). The first mixture requires you to heat water, corn syrup and sugar together until it reaches 230 degrees, so you will need a candy thermometer...something I did not have so I "made an educated guess". You need to warm the first mixture, while whipping up your egg whites. When you finally get to room temperature things got more complicated with my hand mixer (I don't have a fancy mixer) so I had to slowly mix while slowly pour in the warmed mixture, it was awkward to say the least, with moments I thought it might fly onto the floor. You need to continue whipping until it is cool, which certainly takes awhile. I am therefore not too sure where the name "seven-minute frosting" came from as I am pretty darn sure it took longer than that. The recipe for the frosting says it makes 8 cups, it did not lie. There is way too much frosting so I need to figure out how to make it smaller (math is not my strong suit). I would divide it back by 3, there is soooo much left, so unless you want to just sit and eat the frosting I really do not recommend making the whole amount. The frosting is also one of those "eat now" types so depending when you want to eat or serve them, keep that in mind.

So I went to do the fancy topping, but found I did not have the right size pastry tip, so the topping does NOT look like Martha Stewart! I thought it would be soooo easy, but alas I was sooo wrong. Overall I definitely think these are going to be one of my favourites as it is a simple recipe that is tasty.

2 comments:

  1. They still look fantastic! However the thought of you standing at the counter aand the bowl of frosting goes flying is rather hilarious!

    It is called seven minute frosting ... how many minutes did it actuallly take you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried one of the snickerdoodle cupcakes and they are quite scrumptious! I would have put ALOT more frosting on though as that was a total teaser and looks like Fred was in charge of frosting...LOL

    Nice a cinnamony and light and fluffy but moist. I would like to try making these ones too!

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...