Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blueberry cupcakes with whipped cream



So I woke up later today thanks to my wonderful husband, who entertained our daughter Taylor all morning to let me sleep in. I decided today was going to be blueberry cupcake day, since I had purchased a large container of blueberries and don't really like to eat them on their own, so I had bought them with the intention of baking with them.

I read in the recipe book - which unfortunately this recipe I wasn't able to find online - that these cupcakes do well as muffins to be eaten on their own, as they freeze well. So, I decided to double the recipe. I should also mention that my husband had to run and grab me milk just so I could make these, and he had come home an hour or so before I started baking.

So, away I go, measuring and mixing, and then I realize in order to double the recipe, I need 8 eggs...and I only have 6! I forgot the home grown eggs that my co-worker and friend bring me, in the fridge at work, so, I had to run to the store again to get eggs.

So...everything is just ticking along, and then I realize that this isn't all going to fit in the stand mixer...the double of the recipe was about 3/4 together and the mixer was FULL...so, I had to move it to another large mixing bowl to add the remaining ingredients and mix it with a hand mixer (which again, my husband to the rescue, purchased for me yesterday while out and about in the city). Then the recipe calls for folding in the blueberries...which I had JUST enough of since I was doubling and all...so that is why there are none on top for garnish...I figured they would do better in the cupcakes than as garnish!

The icing is just whipped cream which can only be stored for 3 hours or it will get all watery, so I only made half of the recipe so we could dress a few cupcakes for pictures and eat some tonight. Since I made 5 dozen of them!

I have split them into packages to place in the freezer, so I can either pull them out if entertaining and just make some whipped cream, or we can eat them as muffins and take them to work for breakfast on the go.

These are nice and moist cupcakes that are lighter than a muffin, but the fruit is a nice kick to what otherwise would be a vanilla cupcake. I plan on taking them to work without the whipped cream, as it will be much too messy and would require me to make the whipped cream at work - which is a tad crazy since people already think I am nuts for bringing in cupcakes every week...no need for them to explain why it sounds like a hand mixer is going in the background of their conference calls at work!

Next weekend will be VALENTINE'S DAY inspired cupcakes...can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. MMM those ones look so good! I think I will make my own match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely! Good call on the Blueberry decorations. better in the cake!

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...