Friday, November 16, 2018

Greek Yogurt Lemon - Raspberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

I wanted to bake something to serve with coffee, as I tend to have some visitors on the weekends, so when flipping through the recipe book, these caught my attention and I figured they were less time consuming than making cinnamon buns...and you know, its good to try to broaden your horizons!

This is a "healthier" version of scones as it is made with greek yogurt instead of whipping cream, and also blends whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour...and well there is also the raspberries...so its got some decent nutritional value right?!?!

I forgot to take pictures until I was halfway through and believe it or not, I have never made scones before, so I wasn't sure if I had the right consistency or not, so I just went with my instincts and they seemed to turn out great! This is when I realized I had forgotten to take pictures...after I had mixed all the dough together and placed the dough on the baking pan.


I didn't use frozen butter as the recipe suggests - just cold butter from the fridge...and I used white sugar instead of brown as I find brown sugar can sometimes make things too soft (typically I would do half and half just to be safe).  I also actually used real lemon juice and zest since I went to grab groceries and they are pretty cheap right now, so why not?! Leah would tell me I was being "fancy" LOL

I interpreted "turn dough out on lightly floured surface" to mean kneading it a bit...that resulted in the raspberries starting to warm up and the dough getting a bit more wet than I would have expected and the raspberries turned everything pink, so I wouldn't recommend doing that. I suppose I should have watched the video to understand what was intended...see attached video link.  I also brushed melted butter on top as I find it helps things brown.

Lemon Raspberry Scones



I made the glaze while the scones were baking - it was super easy, but firmed up too much while I waited, so I had to warm it up in the microwave a bit to get it back to "drizzle" consistency.

 This is what the scones looked like coming out of the oven - I checked them at 15 minutes (as I always check a few minutes before the recipe calls for) and put them back in for 3 minutes to the recipe's suggested 18 minutes...but because they were still a bit wet in the centre, I cooked them for 2 more minutes and they turned out perfect.

 I had to cut them apart again once they cooled a bit, and then drizzled with the glaze, but I think they were too warm still so my drizzle is more of a total glaze...still tastes delicious, but doesn't look as pretty!
This is a side view of the texture of the scones...a nice soft crumb but fully cooked through.
 And a better picture showing my glaze coverage

These were delicious!  The lemon really zings and brings out the raspberry flavour, and they are moist and dense just like a scone should be - but not dry (bleh - nobody should have to use butter on a scone to provide moisture!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...