Sunday, November 25, 2018

Curried Coconut Rice with Grilled Pineapple

Looking pretty fly in the kitchen if I do say so myself!


Well I wanted to do a recipe that was fairly easy and would be a good dinner item as that was what I needed to make today. I love coconut rice, so I figured I would give this one a go, Curried Coconut Rice with Grilled Pineapple.

I did not use fresh pineapple





I followed the recipe vicariously...a.k.a. I was not fully prepared to add things when I was supposed to and so I looked like a bit of a crazed maniac at first. You heat the oil (coconut or olive oil. I used olive oil as that was what I had), and add your diced onions. I had green onions already chopped very finely, so I chose those instead and they really don't require cooking, so they were a bit over sizzled by the time I added the rice, ginger, followed by groping around to find the curry. When you have a house husband he tends to think he should reorganize the kitchen-this means I can't find things! I pulled crap out, and had stuff everywhere, standing on chairs to look at the back of the cupboard and pantry, only to find it where we have honey and tea...So then you add your coconut milk and water mixture, along with salt. I totally forgot the salt until the rice was cooked.

Rice getting all cooked up

I decided to make a coconut curry as well to go with the rice, but I totally cheated and used sauce I grabbed at Costco.

cooking some chicken in coconut curry to add as a side to the rice

chicken bits getting fried

Rice cooked with pineapple and minced cilantro added at the end as per recipe

Coconut chicken curry a la glass jar sauce from Costco


Everything was fairly easy to whip together. I did put the not fresh, but canned pineapple on broil in the oven to try to get a "grilled" look, but my parchment was just burning, so I took it out before it actually got brown tips. I do know that parchment will burn, in case anyone is thinking I am a total moron...well I guess that does not take away the moron, but I am a knowing moron!

You add the pineapple and freshly minced cilantro at the end, when you "fluff" your rice, a.k.a. stir it at the end. Overall it was tasty but not very coconut flavoured. The pineapple did not over power and you could likely add more than the one cup asked for in the recipe. I actually think you could add more curry as it was very faint, so anyone who does find curry overpowering this recipe is not that way at all. My family all enjoyed it, and even said more pineapple would be good, but we eat a lot of fruit here, so I think its balanced nicely with one cup.

Here is the video link to the video making the rice
Yum and Yummer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...