Sunday, December 2, 2018

Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Black Beans and Butternut Squash

Me cooking

I got my ingredients from Save On Foods. She recommends you use a store cooked chicken for the recipe but Mike doesn’t like dark meat at all so I just barbecued three chicken breasts instead. 

Then I diced all the vegetables and chicken in small cubes . I have never eaten butternut squash before so I was not sure how this was going to taste.



The sauce was super easy to make I’m glad I used a larger pot as it made tons.



I layered the beans, chicken, squash, sauce, cheese and tortillas wrapped it in foil and baked it. I decided to use the regular bake function on my oven instead of the convection because my oven cooks way faster that way. This was a fantastic idea because the cook time was ecxactly correct.


All ready for the oven


Cooked





Garnished 


Ready to eat!

I was concerned that the butternut squash was going to be under cooked as you don’t pre-cook or roast it. I was mistaken!  Thankfully they were nice and soft and easy to eat they are very flavourful so they sucked up a lot of the super tasty sauce. I was not very pleased with the texture of the tortillas they got very soggy which I don’t like very much. So in future if  I were to make these again I would definitely just make it without the tortillas and bake it has a barge casserole and eat it that way. Then I would scoop the casserole with taco chips. I prefer a little more spice in my Mexican food so I would definitely put in some Frank’s hot sauce well I was making the sauce for the recipe.


From the cookbook


Link to video





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...