Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gingerbread Cupcakes

I have adapted Martha's Gingerbread Cupcake Recipe for my husband's 50th birthday.

I actually had all of the ingredients in my house as this is a truly simple cupcake to make. I have substitute the flour for a 1:2 corn to rice flour mixture and I added a tablespoon of corn starch. Which in hind sight I should not have as I think that is why they exploded.



The cupcakes pulled away from the wrappers really badly making them very difficult to ice prettily. I accidental added tsp of allspice but it just added a delightful addition to the cupcakes. I baked them for 15 minutes, not 30, as I used regular sized cupcake wrappers. Mine only come in one size lol.



You have to make two kinds of icing one is a glaze and the other is a meringue butter cream. Make the Meringue Butter Cream icing first as it needs time to chill thoroughly before being piped. I still don't have any icing bags so I used a ziplock baggie. When I boiled the sugar I messed up big time. When I added it to the whipped egg whites it solidified and did not mix well into the egg whites. The Butter Glaze was SUPER simple to make and would have been a wonderful consistency to dip the tops of your cupcakes with; HOWEVER, mine are in no shape to be dipped into anything. I used a wide knife to spread the glaze on top of each cupcake before refrigerating them for 15 minutes to solidify the glaze before I wrote on them.



My daughter told me that they taste great; even though, they don't look that good. She likes the two different icing but prefers the meringue butter cream. Brad could not tell the difference between the two icings and neither could Mike (my hubby). Mike said that they are the moistest cupcakes I have ever made and they are amazingly good. He loves the seriously flavourful spicy cake and the icing was a prefect amount to complement and balance the cake.

I love these cupcakes I am just a little sad that they turned out so sloppy. I was hoping for a really pretty presentation as we have company coming tonight. Oh well, we will see how my brother and nephew like these little cakes when they come over.

2 comments:

  1. Good try Wendy! I am sure they taste yummy! I just remembered I forgot to post my carrot cupcakes from last week...I will get on it right away! Happy Birthday Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you added the all-spice, I am sure they are delicious! The "50" looks great too, good on you without a handy icing bag...

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...