Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes with Fluffy Coconut Frosting...from Late as always Leah!


Well, not even going to mention being late this time...I decided to make a cupcake that makes a larger yield so I could share with my grades 7/8/9 class as they always get missed due to being a "bigger" class (kind of  funny as there really are only 24 of them, but we are a small school...small in numbers big in heart). I am struggling as I type this as I dumped cranberry juice on my keyboard this weekend and everything is sticking now and I will need to see if they can clean this...I have a Macbook...in case your wondering what type of keyboard.


So I thought the Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes would be good...also trying to use up the Buttermilk I bought (I froze some buttermilk and whipping cream, so we shall see how that work, this way I always have on hand). Anyhow I have no idea how they taste as I have a special diet I am on for 4 days while I do tests, so could not taste. My kids loved them! I have seen on Martha's website that some have found them dry, etc. I don't think mine are, but I think you have to really watch how long you cook them...I think I did 14 minutes where the recipe says 20 minutes or until they spring back when you press on them. Other suggestions if you do find them dry were to use vegetable or canola oil in substitution of the butter. As an added spin on the "yellow" I added red food coloring, but not a lot so the cupcakes are a kind of pink-coral colour

I frosted these with the Fluffy Vanilla Frosting except instead of  using vanilla I substituted with a coconut extract for something different....again I will have to wait until my students test taste these puppies and let you know. Just noticed as I hyperlinked to the recipe that the sugar was supposed to be sifted...forgot to do that, but they seem to look okay. LOL

They Red Velvets were a tremendous hit. I actually did not bring them in until yesterday, but I tend to just freeze the cupcakes if I am not having them eaten right away which seems to work. You will notice I freeze a lot of stuff...LMAO I am kind of a freezer nut!


Everything went really well, no big issues. My husband Fred likes to put the butter I am leaving out away in the fridge...which actually is one of the reasons I am bloody late sometimes!

2 comments:

  1. Okay so students have eaten the cupcakes. Most loved them and thought they were fine, but some did say they were a tad dry. I ate one and I say they are dry. I will next time use vegetable or canola oil and see if that makes them more moist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I like the sprinkles they make them look finished lol!

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...