Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tiramisu Cupcakes















Holy Crap are these expensive cupcakes! I spent 35$ on the ingredients I did not have at home the vanilla bean was 5 bucks the marscapone was 10 the cream 5 the chocolate scrappings were 4 bucks, etc, etc.


These cupcakes were the toughest to make the instructions were vague at best and I was not sure what to mix where and how. I was really excited to make these as I had no clue what tiramisu was I have only ever seen them in the store and they looked good I thought it would have a coffee flavour but it is only a hint of it but still nice. These ones are tricky little buggers that I have re-named with four letter words.


You have to make sure you read all of the instructions before you start - usually, I just read the ingredients and go through the steps one by one but this one you need to read it completely and plan your steps. Even then you may get confused - or maybe I am just a retard. I sliced open the vanilla bean and it did not have seeds in it so I thought, "Well this one doesn't have seeds!". I looked at it really close and there is this gunk under the peeling and so I scrapped that off with a knife and dumped it in the milk. I wanted to try the bean because I did not know what it was like and that is when I realized that the gunk really was little tiny seeds! Who knew!


The once the milk steeped it was a very intense flavour not what I would call vanilla - probably because I have never had the real stuff before lol - but it was very tasty. So I beat the eggs then put them on a double boiler and whiped them then I beat them again to make it all nice and fluffy when travisty hit ... duh duh duh ... it fell all of my hard work and the fluff fell and my heart sank with it.


So I sadly poured my floppy and sticky batter into the cupcake wrappers. :(

The coffee-marsala syrup was easy to make and tastes great! I did not have the right kind of wine so I just used the kind I had on the shelf - I had to open it for an ounce so now that I have finished the marathon of baking I am indulging lol! I brushed the cupcakes with the syrup3-4 times and let them sit for about an hour before I iced them.

The icing for this one is super easy and fast. Mike is crazy for the icing - he is a whipped cream fanatic. I would not use the fancy marsacapone chesse ever again, it does not add to the whipped cream it does not add a distinctive flavour or a level of texture it was 10 bucks and not worht it one bit. It is just like the whipped cream you would make for pie (sans vanilla).

I did not dust my cupcakes with cocao - I used white, dark, and milk chocolate curls that I picked up when I was out with Leah today. We were going to all these home stores looking for items we need to make the cupcakes and I came across them and thought that they would go nicely witht he tiramisu. I was right! I made one dusted and compared the two and the choclate curls won hands down.

My new mixing bowls were so good! They are deep and that is great for when you are making icing because I always seem to be spraying myself with icing or egg whites or batter or what ever is in my shallow bowls.

The muffin part of the cupcake was really tasty the vanilla bean gives it an exotic flavour and the coffee-marsala was enough to top it off without all the cream. I am not a huge fan of heaps of icing or cream. A little dab'll do ya' eh'! I made these ones with half corn and half brown rice flour and I think I need to use more rice and less corn. It was still a little dry but you don't notice with all the cream or even just the coffee-marsala syrup makes it all better.

Mike and Brad did not find these to be dry they loved it. They ate 4 in an hour! These do not keep once they are iced for more than 24 hours. I am afraid I will wake up in the morning and I will have a bucket of mush in the fridge which makes the expense not worth it.


















2 comments:

  1. Wow, I was going to try these ones, but after that review I think I may skip it! I am sure they are tasty, tiramasu is usually a favorite of peoples. I always thought marscapone cheese was a tangy version of whipped cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Wendy, they look absolutely beautiful! Good work, I totally understand how you feel though! Glad your mixing bowls worked so well. I was hoping to do those Mocha Cupcakes, but then found out that I need coffee extract for the icing! I am too lazy to go in search so those will wait another day. I may just make pumpkin ones this go round to keep it simple, kids seem to prefer the less "fancy" lol.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Salad is on the top right side of plate. I did not think about pictures until I was eating... Most of you may be aware we have gone on...